Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Titanic Submersible Movie in the Works 3 Months After OceanGate Titan Tragedy -VitalWealth Strategies
Will Sage Astor-Titanic Submersible Movie in the Works 3 Months After OceanGate Titan Tragedy
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:09:54
A movie based on Will Sage Astorthe tragic story behind OceanGate's Titan submersible is taking voyage.
The Blackening producer E. Brian Dobbins has teamed up with MindRiot Entertainment to make a fictional film covering the five-day search for the missing sub—which ended when officials determined the watercraft had imploded while diving to the Titanic wreckage, claiming the lives of its five passengers—according to Deadline. Dobbins will produce the project, while MindRiot's Justin MacGregor and Jonathan Keasey have been attached to write the script.
"Our film will not only honor all those involved in the submersible tragedy, and their families, but the feature will serve as a vessel that also addresses a more macro concern about the nature of media today," Keasey said in a statement to the outlet. "Truth is all that matters. And the world has a right to know the truth, always, not the salacious bait crammed down our throats by those seeking their five minutes of fame. Life is not black and white. It's complicated. There's nuance. Always nuance."
News of the movie comes three months after the OceanGate sub went missing on June 18, setting off a massive search before its estimated 96-hour oxygen supply ran out.
The vehicle's passengers—OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, billionaire Hamish Harding, explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet and businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood—were determined to have died in an underwater implosion after searchers discovered debris from the sub "consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber" on June 22, per the U.S. Coast Guard.
"These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans," a June 22 statement from OceanGate read at the time. "Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew."
A director for the submersible film has not been announced, though James Cameron—who helmed the 1997 blockbuster Titanic—previously slammed "offensive rumors" about him being involved in a silver screen adaptation of the tragedy.
"I'm NOT in talks about an OceanGate film," he wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, on July 15, "nor will I ever be."
For more details on Titan's passengers, keep reading.
On June 18, 2023, a deep-sea submersible Titan, operated by the U.S.-based company OceanGate Expeditions and carrying five people on a voyage to the wreck of the Titanic, was declared missing. Following a five-day search, the U.S. Coast Guard announced at a June 22 press conference that the vessel suffered a "catastrophic implosion" that killed all five passengers on board.
Pakistani-born businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood, both British citizens, were also among the victims.
Their family is one of the wealthiest in Pakistan, with Shahzada Dawood serving as the vice chairman of Engro Corporation, per The New York Times. His son was studying at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland.
Shahzada's sister Azmeh Dawood told NBC News that Suleman had expressed reluctance about going on the voyage, informing a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic, but ultimately went to please his father, a Titanic fan, for Father's Day.
The Dawood Foundation mourned their deaths in a statement to the website, saying, "It is with profound grief that we announce the passing of Shahzada and Suleman Dawood. Our beloved sons were aboard OceanGagte's Titan submersible that perished underwater. Please continue to keep the departed souls and our family in your prayers during this difficult period of mourning."
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush was the pilot of the Titan. The entrepreneur—who founded the research company in 2009 in Everett, Wash.—had long been interested in exploration. Rush, 61, previously said he dreamed of becoming the first person on Mars and once said that he'd "like to be remembered as an innovator."
In addition to leading voyages to see the remnants of the Titanic, Rush had another surprising connection to the historic 1912 event: His wife Wendy Rush is the great-great-granddaughter of a couple who died on the Titanic, Ida and Isidor Straus.
British billionaire Hamish Harding confirmed he was a part of the mission in a June 17 Instagram post, a day before the submersible went into the water and disappeared.
"I am proud to finally announce that I joined @oceangateexped for their RMS TITANIC Mission as a mission specialist on the sub going down to the Titanic," he wrote. "Due to the worst winter in Newfoundland in 40 years, this mission is likely to be the first and only manned mission to the Titanic in 2023. A weather window has just opened up and we are going to attempt a dive tomorrow."
Harding—the chairman of aircraft company Action Aviation—said the group had started steaming from St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada and was planning to start dive operations around 4 a.m. on June 18. The 58-year-old added, "Until then we have a lot of preparations and briefings to do."
His past explorations included traveling to the deepest part of the ocean in the Mariana Trench, telling Gulf News in 2021, "It was an incredibly hostile environment. To travel to parts of the Challenger Deep where no human had ever been before was truly remarkable."
The Dubai-based businessman also circumnavigated the Earth by plane with the One More Orbit project and, last year, took a trip to space on Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin New Shepard rocket. Harding shared his love for adventure with his son Giles, described as a "teen explorer" on his Instagram.
As for the fifth member, a representative for French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet told the New York Times that he was a passenger on the Titan, with Harding also referencing him on Instagram as a member of the team.
The Times described him as a maritime expert who was previously part of the French Navy. The 71-year-old was a bonafide Titanic specialist and has traveled to the wreckage 35 times before. Nargeolet served as the director of RMS Titanic, Inc., a company that researches, salvages and displays artifacts from the famed ship, per the outlet.
Alongside fellow passenger Hamish Harding, he was a member of The Explorers Club, founded in 1904.
As Harding noted in his post, the submersible—named Titan—was a part of an OceanGate Expeditions tour that explores the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, which infamously sank in 1912.
The company expressed its sympathies to the families of the victims. "These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans," OceanGate said in a statement. "Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (2289)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Archaeologists unearth the largest cemetery ever discovered in Gaza and find rare lead sarcophogi
- Europe keeps Solheim Cup after first-ever tie against US. Home-crowd favorite Ciganda thrives again
- Facial recognition technology jailed a man for days. His lawsuit joins others from Black plaintiffs
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Senior Australian public servant steps aside during probe of encrypted texts to premiers’ friend
- Lizzo tearfully accepts humanitarian award after lawsuits against her: 'I needed this'
- AI is on the world’s mind. Is the UN the place to figure out what to do about it?
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Ukraine air force chief mocks Moscow as missile hits key Russian navy base in Sevastopol, Crimea
Ranking
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Europe keeps Solheim Cup after first-ever tie against US. Home-crowd favorite Ciganda thrives again
- 'We just collapsed:' Reds' postseason hopes take hit with historic meltdown
- Toddler and 2 adults fatally shot in Florida during argument over dog sale, authorities say
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 5 hospitalized after explosion at New Jersey home; cause is unknown
- Student loan borrowers face plenty of questions, budget woes, as October bills arrive
- Student loan borrowers face plenty of questions, budget woes, as October bills arrive
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
William Byron withstands Texas chaos to clinch berth in Round of 8 of NASCAR playoffs
Leader of Canada’s House of Commons apologizes for honoring man who fought for Nazis
Poland accuses Germany of meddling its its affairs by seeking answers on alleged visa scheme
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
A Black student was suspended for his hairstyle. Now, his family is suing Texas officials.
Breakers Dominika Banevič and Victor Montalvo qualify for next year’s Paris Olympics
Young climate activists challenging 32 governments to get their day in court