Current:Home > StocksMelissa Joan Hart Reveals She Was Almost Fired From Sabrina After Underwear Photoshoot -VitalWealth Strategies
Melissa Joan Hart Reveals She Was Almost Fired From Sabrina After Underwear Photoshoot
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:15:46
Melissa Joan Hart nearly conjured up a Sabrina the Teenage Witch scandal in the late ‘90s.
In fact, as the actress, who played the titular teen witch on the ABC and The WB sitcom recalled, the show was nearly canceled during its third season over her October 1999 Maxim front cover in which she's posed in her underwear.
"While I'm at my party that's at Planet Hollywood, some of my clothes were being dedicated there," the 47-year-old shared on the August 21 episode of the Pod Meets World podcast, "my lawyer shows up and goes, 'You did a photoshoot for Maxim magazine? You're being sued and fired from your show, so don't talk to the press, don't do anything.'"
Melissa noted that at the time she responded, "I did what my publicist told me to do, I did a photo shoot for Maxim. It's Maxim! Like of course you're gonna be in your underwear."
In the image, the then 23-year-old Melissa is wearing black underwear and is holding a white shirt over her topless chest. However, as she clarified, the issue ultimately came down to the magazine using Sabrina's name on the front cover, rather than Melissa's real name.
"The magazine wrote, 'Sabrina, your favorite witch without a stitch,'" the Melissa & Joey alum explained. "So in my contract it said I would never play the character naked. So here they were thinking I was in breach because I'm playing the character."
Melissa, who starred in the teen rom-com Drive Me Crazy, that same year, continued, "I was like, 'No, that was supposed to be me promoting my movie, it wasn't supposed to be the character. I had no control over what they wrote on the cover."
So how did the actress fix this spell gone bad? "I wrote an apology letter," Melissa shared. "And it was all gone."
But one unexpected perk of the scenario, she admitted, was a lot of free press.
"The silver lining here is that for weeks, the top news: ‘Can Melissa be sexy'?" she explained. "'Why is she being fired from her tv show?' And all this drama. But it made for Drive Me Crazy to come out and be a huge success. It was insane."
E! News has reached out to ABC, The WB and Nell Scovell, the show's creator, for comment but has yet to hear back.
Since the show came to an end in 2003 after 7 seasons, Melissa has often reminisced about her time on the beloved sitcom. However, don't expect her to hop on the revival train.
"I think we would all have a lot of fun, but I don't think that that necessarily makes for a good show just because we're having a blast," she told E! News at That's 4 Entertainment 90s Con earlier this year. "I think that it's really hard to reboot something, do it smart. I think that people have thought about it for too long and everyone has an idea of what they want it to be, but I don't think it would ever make anyone happy."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (8)
Related
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Dinosaur tracks revealed as river dries up at drought-stricken Texas park
- Virginia lawmakers convene special session on long-delayed budget
- YouTube vlogger Ruby Franke formally charged with 6 felony counts of child abuse
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- 'Eight-legged roommate'? It's spider season. Here's why you're seeing more around the house
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Speaks Out After Hospitalization for Urgent Fetal Surgery
- Couple kidnapped from home, 5 kids left behind: Police
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Danelo Cavalcante press conference livestream: Police update search for escaped Pennsylvania prisoner
Ranking
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- South African conservation NGO to release 2,000 rhinos into the wild
- Prosecutors in Trump’s Georgia election subversion case estimate a trial would take 4 months
- Alaskan fishers fear another bleak season as crab populations dwindle in warming waters
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 49ers sign Nick Bosa to a record-setting contract extension to end his lengthy holdout
- Bachelor Nation's Nick Viall and Fiancée Natalie Joy Reveal Sex of Their First Baby
- An Idaho woman convicted of killing two of her children and another woman is appealing the case
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
The Biden Administration is ending drilling leases in ANWR, at least for now
Former White House aide Gabe Amo wins Rhode Island Democratic House primary
Prosecutors ask a judge to revoke bond of mother of Virginia boy who shot his first-grade teacher
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Taylor Momsen Shares the Real Reason She Decided to Leave Gossip Girl
'Survivor 45' cast: Meet contestants competing for $1 million in new fall 2023 season
Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas say they decided to amicably end our marriage