Current:Home > ScamsRFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says -VitalWealth Strategies
RFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:05:30
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan judge ruled that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. must remain on the November presidential ballot, dealing a blow to his crusade to strategically remove his ticket from the battleground state.
Kennedy suspended his campaign and endorsed former President Donald Trump in August. Since then, he has sought to withdraw his name in states — like Michigan — where the race could be close. At the same time, he is trying to remain on the ballot in states where he is unlikely to make a difference between Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris.
Kennedy filed a lawsuit Friday in Michigan’s Court of Claims against Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson in an effort to withdraw his name. Michigan’s election officials had previously rejected Kennedy’s notice of withdrawal.
The Associated Press asked the secretary’s office for comment on the Court of Claims order that came down Tuesday.
In a post on X earlier in the day, Benson said under Michigan law, candidates who are nominated and accept a minor party’s nomination “shall not be permitted to withdraw.”
Kennedy argued in the lawsuit that his notice of withdrawal was timely and the electorate’s votes could be “diminished and rendered invalid” if he remains on the ballot. He filed a similar lawsuit in North Carolina on Friday, where he is trying to withdraw his name from the ballot.
Michigan Court of Claims Judge Christopher P. Yates concluded that the secretary of state rightly rejected Kennedy’s request to be removed from the ballot.
“Elections are not just games, and the Secretary of State (SOS) is not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for public office,” Yates said in his opinion and order.
The Associated Press requested a comment from Kennedy’s attorneys Tuesday.
Wisconsin election officials said last week that Kennedy must remain on the ballot there, rejecting his request request to withdraw.
Last week, a different Michigan Court of Claims judge ruled that liberal independent candidate for president Cornel West must remain on the ballot, an opinion welcomed by West’s campaign.
Kennedy and West, prominent third-party candidates, are at the center of multiple legal and political battles across the country as Democrats and Republicans seek to use the impacts of third-party candidates who could take support from their opponents. Republicans allies in multiple battleground states such as Arizona and Michigan have sought to keep West on the ballot amid Democratic fears he could siphon votes from Vice President Kamala Harris.
veryGood! (495)
Related
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Voting begins in Madagascar presidential election boycotted by most opposition leaders
- Jennifer Aniston reflects on 'Friends' co-star Matthew Perry in emotional tribute: 'Chosen family'
- How The Crown's Khalid Abdalla and Elizabeth Debicki Honored Dodi and Diana's Complex Bond
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Is Selling Sunset's Jason Oppenheim Still in Love With Ex Chrishell Stause? He Says…
- A cargo plane returns to JFK Airport after a horse escapes its stall, pilot dumps 20 tons of fuel
- Fuel tanker overturns north of Boston during multiple-vehicle crash
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Vatican plans to gradually replace car fleet with electric vehicles in deal with VW
Ranking
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Extreme Weight Loss' Kim Williams Maxile Honors Costar Brandi Mallory After Her Death
- Autoworkers to wrap up voting on contract with General Motors Thursday in a race too close to call
- Justin Torres wins at National Book Awards as authors call for cease-fire in Gaza
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Justin Torres and Ned Blackhawk are among the winners of National Book Awards
- Goodbye free returns: Retailers are tacking on mail-in fees. Why that may be good news.
- Deshaun Watson's injury leaves Browns dead in the water – through massive fault of their own
Recommendation
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Travis Kelce dishes on Taylor Swift lyrics, botched high-five in Argentina
For kids in crisis, it's getting harder to find long-term residential treatment
Mother of boy who shot teacher gets 21 months in prison for using marijuana while owning gun
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
A NASA astronaut's tool bag got lost in space and is now orbiting Earth
Report: Roger Waters denied hotel stays in Argentina and Uruguay over allegations of antisemitism
Hospital director in Haiti says a gang stormed in and took women and children hostage