Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Some New Orleanians skeptical of city and DOJ’s request to exit consent decree -VitalWealth Strategies
Indexbit Exchange:Some New Orleanians skeptical of city and DOJ’s request to exit consent decree
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:35:39
Community members and Indexbit Exchangeelected officials are reacting to the city of New Orleans and U.S. Department of Justice’s attempt to close a yearslong chapter of federal oversight of the New Orleans Police Department.
On Sept. 27, the city and DOJ asked U.S. District Judge Susie Morgan to begin to ramp down the police department’s consent decree, which was put into place after a federal investigation found the department was engaging in unlawful behaviors, including excessive force, unconstitutional stops and discriminatory policing. City and federal officials say the department is now generally in compliance. Although not completely compliant in areas of searches and arrests, bias-free policing and community engagement, the DOJ has deemed NOPD’s conduct sufficient enough to warrant transitioning to the sustainment period.
If approved by Morgan, the city and DOJ will enter a two-year “sustainment” period, during which the NOPD will have to demonstrate that it can follow certain benchmarks to police itself. Even if Morgan approves the request to exit the decree, she can reverse that decision if the NOPD fails to meet agreed upon benchmarks of the sustainment period, as the judge wrote in a notice last week.
But at two separate events this week, residents, activists and politicians expressed concern and curiosity about the possibility of less federal oversight. Some told Verite News that they still see misconduct in the NOPD and wonder who will hold the police accountable if the consent decree ends.
“At the end of the day, they need to be held accountable,” Belden “Noonie Man” Batiste, a community activist, told Verite News at a community meeting held to discuss the city and DOJ’s request to exit the decree.
The First District Police Community Advisory Board hosted the meeting on Sept. 30 at the Treme Recreation Community Center. Those in attendance heard from New Orleans police officers and Orleans Parish District Attorney Jason Williams and asked them questions.
Batiste said that he does not think NOPD is ready to exit the consent decree due to what he believes is excessive force and corruption. He referenced two recent events — a Sept. 20 indictment of a former NOPD reserve officer on multiple charges and a Sept. 22 incident in which an officer allegedly punched a woman unconscious — as evidence that the department isn’t ready.
“It’s a disgrace how some of the cops function,” Batiste said. “I’m not saying we have all bad cops — we do have good cops — but we ain’t ready to get out of the consent decree.”
Verite News reached out to NOPD with questions about residents’ critiques of the city and DOJ’s request to exit the consent decree and was referred to the city’s press release. They offered no further comment.
Engaging the community around the consent decree
Charles Aponzo, a New Orleans resident who was at the Monday meeting, said that the consent decree has to end at some point and that he feels comforted knowing Morgan can change her decision based on how the police are complying with the benchmarks of the sustainment period.
Aponzo also said that he would like to see clear judgment, transparency and clarity from the city on where they want to go from here. He emphasized the need for implementing community input in a way that brings out people who do not typically come to community events like the one on Monday.
“Ultimately, I think it’s a matter of defining ‘community’ effectively, and asking yourself who is in the room, who’s not in the room and bringing people who are not into the room into the room,” Aponzo said.
Jalence Isles, another city resident, also emphasized wanting the city to come up with additional ways to engage parts of the city that don’t normally attend community events. She is concerned that the people who really need messages from the city about the consent decree are not receiving them.
“I appreciate … efforts like this, but this clearly does not represent the broader community,” Isles said. “This represents the people that are already kind of informed, at least somewhat, about some of these things. I really wish that the city would develop a comprehensive communication plan for major things like this.”
Morgan Clevenger, president of the First District Police Community Advisory Board, said she thinks the most important thing with transitioning away from the consent decree is the city having events in place to engage with the public.
“If we don’t have highly productive community engagement with the NOPD and vice versa, we’re probably going to end up back where we started,” Clevenger said.
‘It’s a scary situation’
State Sen. Royce Duplessis, D-New Orleans, was at Monday’s meeting and told Verite that he and his constituents have many questions about lifting the consent decree.
“I think there’s been a lot of great progress, but…I’ve heard from the community that there are still concerns around what oversight (there will) be when there’s no longer the federal monitor. So, it still remains to be seen,” Duplessis said.
Williams, the district attorney, told Verite News after the meeting that he understands that it can be scary to have the federal government step in to tell the police to treat people fairly.
“It’s a scary situation, so it’s very hard to just go back and say, ‘okay, we trust you now, that you’re going to do it,’” Williams said.
But Williams said there is another aspect of the issue people should consider — what the money used for the consent decree could go toward. He said the $5 million a year used to keep up with the decree could be instead invested in community organizations like police community advisory boards or into programs for young people.
Claims of racist policing
Early Tuesday afternoon, members of New Orleans for Community Oversight of Police (NOCOP) and allies held a press conference outside of the federal district courthouse opposing the city’s ask to move to sustainment.
Several speakers from local community and activist groups, like Freedom Road Socialist Organization and Eye on Surveillance, talked to the press about why they do not want an end to the consent decree. They connected the consent decree to local issues of immigration, police responses to a pro-Palestine encampment that occurred at Tulane University and some of their own interactions with the law.
NOCOP’s Toni Jones said racially biased policing is the main reason why the organization does not think NOPD should move to exit the consent decree.
Jones cited the New Orleans Office of the Independent Police Monitor’s 2023 annual report, which revealed that NOPD’s use of force against Black women increased by 54.9 percent from 2021 to 2023. The report also said that 86% of NOPD use of force cases against women were against Black women and 90% of NOPD use of force cases against men were against Black men in 2023.
“This extreme disparity is due to NOPD racism, and not Black criminality,” Jones said. “We don’t believe that racist policing is sustainable.”
___
This story was originally published by Verite News and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (29)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Katherine Schwarzenegger Reveals What Daughter Eloise Demands From Chris Pratt
- Lake Mary, Florida wins Little League World Series over Chinese Taipei in extra innings on walk-off bunt, error
- ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Alien’ top charts again as ‘Blink Twice’ sees quiet opening
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Kamala Harris’ Favorability Is Sky High Among Young Voters in Battleground States
- ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Alien’ top charts again as ‘Blink Twice’ sees quiet opening
- Schools are competing with cell phones. Here’s how they think they could win
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Mississippi ex-deputy seeks shorter sentence in racist torture of 2 Black men
Ranking
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Zoë Kravitz says Beyoncé was 'so supportive' of that 'Blink Twice' needle drop
- US agency to reexamine permit for Hyundai’s $7.6 billion electric vehicle plant in Georgia
- Hurricane Hone sweeps past Hawaii, dumping enough rain to ease wildfire fears
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Famed Coney Island Cyclone roller coaster is shut down after mid-ride malfunction
- 'This is our division': Brewers run roughshod over NL Central yet again
- Double Duty: For Danny Jansen, playing for both teams in same game is chance at baseball history
Recommendation
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Massachusetts towns warn about rare, lethal mosquito-borne virus: 'Take extra precautions'
Four men found dead in a park in northwest Georgia, investigation underway
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. John Gotti III fight card results, round-by-round analysis
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
Four men found dead in a park in northwest Georgia, investigation underway
Kelly Ripa Reacts to Daughter Lola Consuelos Posting “Demure” Topless Photo
Hiker's body found in Grand Canyon after flash floods; over 100 airlifted to safety