Current:Home > NewsOrganizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -VitalWealth Strategies
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:19:56
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- The UK’s interior minister sparks furor by accusing police of favoring pro-Palestinian protesters
- North Carolina woman and her dad get additional jail time in the beating death of her Irish husband
- Kim Kardashian fuels Odell Beckham Jr. dating rumors by attending NFL star's birthday party
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- SAG-AFTRA reaches tentative agreement with Hollywood studios in a move to end nearly 4-month strike
- Father of Liverpool striker Luis Díaz released after his kidnapping in Colombia by ELN guerrillas
- Really impressive Madrid, Sociedad advance in Champions League. Man United again falls in wild loss
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Kim Kardashian fuels Odell Beckham Jr. dating rumors by attending NFL star's birthday party
Ranking
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Poland’s outgoing minister asks new legislators to seek further war reparations from Germany
- Michigan responds to Big Ten notice amid football sign-stealing scandal, per report
- Are banks, post offices closed on Veterans Day? What about the day before? What to know
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- After Ohio vote, advocates in a dozen states are trying to put abortion on 2024 ballots
- After Ohio vote, advocates in a dozen states are trying to put abortion on 2024 ballots
- An industrial robot crushed a worker to death at a vegetable packing plant in South Korea
Recommendation
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Nick Lachey and Vanessa Lachey's Love Story: Meeting Cute, Falling Hard and Working on Happily Ever After
A Russian missile hits a Liberia-flagged ship in Odesa, Ukraine’s main Black Sea port
MLB announcer Jason Benetti leaves White Sox to join division rival's broadcast team
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
8 killed after car suspected of carrying migrants flees police, crashes into SUV in Texas
Uzbekistan hosts summit of regional economic alliance
8 dead after suspected human smuggler crashes in Texas